How to get a Texas Motorcycle License
- Texas Motorcycle License Guidelines
- How to Prepare for the Written Exam
- Required ID and Paperwork
Texas DMV Motorcycle License Rules
Ready to take your motorcycle on the open road? We'll walk you through the steps to get your Texas motorcycle license with an extra emphasis on safe driving.
You'll need to be familiar with the Texas Driver's Manual. Think you know the material?
Take our Motorcycle License practice test now and test your knowledge here first!
First Time Motorcycle Riders
Under Texas DMV guidelines, anyone who drives a motorcycle must have a Class M motorcycle license or motorcycle instruction permit. In addition to testing, all first time original applicants must visit a Texas Driver License office and do the following:
- Complete the requirements for an original applicant.
- Present a completion certificate of the Motorcycle Safety Course (MSB-8 or MSB-8R), approved by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. This completion certificate waives the driving test if you 18 years of age or older
A motorcycle learner license allows a beginning driver to operate a motorcycle with someone in sight that is 21 years of age or older and holds a valid motorcycle license.
To obtain a motorcycle learner license (permit), you must:
- 1. Complete the requirements for a learner license.
- 2. Present a completion certificate of the Motorcycle Safety Course (MSB-8), approved by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.
Under Age 18:
- Be a minimum of 15 years of age (restricted to only operate a motorcycle that has not more than a 250 cubic centimeter piston displacement). On the 16th birthday of a special restricted Class M license, the department shall remove the 250 cubic centimeter restriction from the license without completion by the holder of an additional motorcycle operator training course.
- Complete the requirements for a learner license.
- Present the completion certificate of Driver Education.
- Submit Verification of Attendance and Enrollment in school
- Obtain parental authorization signature
- Pass the mandatory motorcycle driving test. NOTE: For customer convenience, some locations are pre-scheduling the driving exam. Contact your local Driver License office to see if appointments are offered.
Prepare for the Motorcycle License Written Test
The Texas DMV requires that all applicants must pass a written motorcycle knowledge test on traffic signs, motor vehicle laws and safe driving techniques. If you fail the exam, some states require you to wait until at least until the next day to take the test again and charge a re-examination fee.
All motorcyclists are encouraged to study for this written test so you don't take a chance on standing in line at the DMV Office only to go home empty-handed. Test your motorcycle safety and driving knowledge and take our Texas motorcycle practice test today!
Before you head to the Texas DPS Office, make sure you have the following required documents to get your motorcycle license. Examples include:
- Birth certificate issued in any state
- Drivers license or instruction permit issued in another state
- U.S. passport
- U.S. military ID card (active duty, retired, reserve)
- Texas ID card
- Social Security Number, if issued,
- Documents from a court of record
- Marriage certificate
- Proof of Texas vehicle registration and liability insurance on all vehicles you own.
- Parental Consent Form if under 18
On the Road
Once your licensing requirements have been met, a Class M endorsement will be added to your driver's license. Remember... the safe operation of a motorcycle requires practiced skill, knowledge, and a respectful understanding of the limitations imposed by the operator, the machine, and the environment.