How to get a New York Motorcycle License
- New York Motorcycle License Guidelines
- How to Prepare for the Written Exam
- Required ID and Paperwork
New York DMV Motorcycle License Rules
Ready to take your motorcycle on the open road? We'll walk you through the steps to get your New York motorcycle license with an extra emphasis on safe driving.Try Sample Test!
You'll need to be familiar with the New York Driver's Manual. Think you know the material?
Take our Motorcycle License practice test now and test your knowledge here first!
First Time Motorcycle Riders
Under New York DMV guidelines, anyone who drives a motorcycle must have a Class M motorcycle license or motorcycle instruction permit.
If you have a NYS driver license or permit:
- Study the on-line MV-21MC NYS Motorcycle Operator's Manual to prepare for the motorcycle written test. You can also get a copy of the manual from your local DMV Office or DMV Call Center.
- Read the MV-44.1 driver license application instructions and complete form MV-44 for a learner permit.
- Bring the completed form MV-44 and your current NYS photo driver license to a local DMV Office that offers written tests, and pay the $21 permit fee.
- Pass the written test, and receive your Class M or Class MJ permit. This permit is valid for one year. You can renew the permit one time for an additional year. To get a new permit after a renewal, you must apply for a new permit and take the motorcycle written test again.
If you do not already have another class of NYS driver license, you must complete a pre-licensing course or a Driver Education course before you can make a road test appointment. See "Driving Instruction" in the telephone directory yellow pages for DMV-licensed commercial schools that provide the pre-licensing course.
Prepare for the Motorcycle License Written Test
The New York DMV requires that all applicants must pass a written motorcycle knowledge test on traffic signs, motor vehicle laws and safe driving techniques. If you fail the exam, some states require you to wait until at least until the next day to take the test again and charge a re-examination fee.
All motorcyclists are encouraged to study for this written test so you don't take a chance on standing in line at the DMV Office only to go home empty-handed. Test your motorcycle safety and driving knowledge and take our New York motorcycle practice test today!
Before you head to the New York DMV Office, make sure you have the following required documents to get your motorcycle license. Examples include:
- Birth certificate issued in any state
- Drivers license or instruction permit issued in another state
- U.S. passport
- U.S. military ID card (active duty, retired, reserve)
- New York ID card
- Social Security Number, if issued,
- Documents from a court of record
- Marriage certificate
- Parental Consent Form, which must be signed in the presence of a driver license examiner or notarized if parent or guardian will not be present.
On the Road
Once your licensing requirements have been met, a Class M endorsement will be added to your driver's license. Remember... the safe operation of a motorcycle requires practiced skill, knowledge, and a respectful understanding of the limitations imposed by the operator, the machine, and the environment.